Friday, March 5, 2010

Lake Oroville - Oroville Dam

Leaving Redding, we headed south on the I-5.....somewhere around Corning (Olive Capital of California...gotta love the Olives!) we stopped for a bit of a break. The Gman decided he wanted to camp by a lake, so he checked out the map.

A few minutes later, he decided we should head East. We were going to head for Lake Oroville to camp for the night.  We'd never been there and had never heard of it.

We got onto Highway 32 and went thru Chico on the way. The rain stopped for a few hours....

We went thru the town of Oroville and followed the "Green Line" up to the Welcome Centre at Lake Oroville. This is when we realized there is a BIG dam there! What an Incredible Place!



Since it wasn't raining,  we took da Wolf for a walk....here's what we saw. And...keep in mind, this is only a Small part of the Lake.




The boat ramps were 4 lanes EACH way! We had never seen anything like it.


Here you can see how low the water level is....that pavement on the other side is another boat ramp.



Some Very Large Houseboats....




I'd love to go out on one of these Houseboats!


You will notice the obligatory can of Kokanee beer in the foreground. This is our favourite Canadian beer....it's brewed in Creston BC. There's a Sasquatch hidden on every can, you know. Linda easily found hers when I mentioned that to her! When we met AJ, almost the first thing he asked us was did we bring any Kokanee beer along? We were happy to say Yes, and share some with them!


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics! I am scared of boats but secretly I would love to go on a houseboat (oh gee, no secret anymore!).
    Glad you are enjoying yourselves!
    I wonder...did I miss the pic of Linda? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a cool place - Jim and I were there a couple of years ago. The beer was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blssom! No, u didn't miss it. I am going to post the pics of Jim and Linda's place over on our other blog. I thought it fits the theme over there.

    I'll try and get them put up later today. We are going to be on the road again today until late afternoon.

    Linda, we were amazed!What an incredible place it is. It just goes to show us what neat things we can find by meandering once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictues. I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete